I'm alive!
and I'm MELTING... It really is hot here, they weren't kidding. Apparently, it has been relatively cool in the past couple of days too. Yikes.
So I've my new boss and some co-workers, and Chancellor Choy (who is the guy in charge of administrative/bureaucratic duties, and is the epitome of bureaucracy...nice, but repetitive and inefficient, and also a little manic and a bit of a stressball. And he doesn't listen to anything you say. I'm sure he will be a funny story someday)
Maolaysia is Beaauutiful...! The people are gorgeous, and for the most part, will smile back (in a huge way) if I smile at them. When I went for my morning run (sinc eI woke up at 7am from the extreme heat), instead of hopping over dog shit and kid's toys, I had to run around fallen palm fronds and this fruit that looks like a mango but is the size of a coconut... I also saw bananas growing on trees... man, those are some prolific trees. I'm really eager to try to fresh fruit as well, but trying to be cautious about fruit stands with pre-cut fruit, since the water here might not work with my stomach--I haven't tried drinking from the tap yet (without boiling). Papaya and pineapple and mango and durian and all these other crazy fruit are everywhere, as are mango and kiwi and blackcurrant juices. Also, there is a complete innocence about "healthy" food and unhealthy food. It's all food. My soymilk this morning just listed 'soybeans, cane sugar' as the ingredients, whereas in the US, it's more like 'soybean extract, organic brown rice extract (aka sweet stuff), vitamin, vitamin, mineral, isoflavone, etc. I've never before had so much fried stuff in my life (fried noodles, rice, fish, squid, misc. meat) YUM.
Anyhow, off to open a bank account and teach a class (my 1st!) More later, <3 Mibi


2 Comments:
hotttt... how was yr first class? eh..how did you prepare? DID YOU FOOKEN ROCK IT????
Hey Jeremiah and all,
I got lucky and didn't have to teach on Friday, but I have two classes tomorrow, about which I'll keep you posted:) I'm planning to introduce myself in Malay and make a complete ass of myself so that the students feel more comfortable making asses of themselves in front of me. hopefully. hopefully they don't just laugh at me and then drop the class. ;)
Also! I get to meet up with one of Surabhi's friends tomorrow; he lives somewhere else in Malaysia but will be in the north for some reason or other.
Meebs
Post a Comment
<< Home