Making Friends in a Foreign Country
So I was having a very blue night last night. Friday night, Emily and I went to our usual bar, and as fun and marvelous as it is to have a big group of guys who want to hang out and buy drinks for you (actually, refuse to accept payment is more accurate) and offer to take us out to restaurants, I don’t really feel like they’re my friends. I’m probably just being American and assuming that if a guy pays, it’s because he hopes for something or because he expects something, though in Malaysia men also pay for their friends, and for their sisters. So on a Saturday evening, I ended up sitting in my apartment in Malaysia missing my friends, and thinking about how much fun they’re having in Chicago (Laura, Leah, and Morlie are within two blocks of each other!!), and how envious I am of some of my students, and their close-knit friendships:-/ Of course, Emily and I watch another movie, and it was actually quite depressing (“Thirteen conversations about one thing”) in its exploration of fate and death and relationships, though I would recommend it for anyone who is not homesick;) Emily goes to bed, and now, three phone calls later, I’ve completely exhausted the funds on my calling card, but had very nice chats with my grandma, Leah, and Laura, and heard about the upcoming family reunion, and had some fun joking about how I have no friends…and mentally pondering my plans post-Malaysia. I am so excited about moving to Chicago with all my girls (if this past month is an indication, I will be in a sad state of estrogen-withdrawal by then!) and then getting on with my life (law school/public health masters, and then eventually a real job!?!?). However, I’m also pondering a month or two volunteering/interning in Thailand or India, or somewhere else in Asia, as I’m quite conveniently here and have already committed myself to being in debt when I get back to the US, so what’s another month without really earning money? As long as I’ve got cash for food and fees, all is good. (especially the food part!!) [As for shopping, it seems to be damn near non-existent, at least for people my size…;) Just like in Japan, I’m consistently faced with poorly fitting size “large” shirts and skirts and pants, which technically fit, but not comfortably my wide hips and shoulders. Also, this place is seriously being held hostage by crazy 80s fashions; is that true in the US as well? Scariness!! Also, they have such marvelous and dainty shoes, and none in my size—anywhere. Nor do they have running shorts at all! Emily and I have scoured every store on the island with no luck. So, whoever borrowed my light blue Adidas shorts right before I left the States…could you mail them to me?]
Anyhow, no shopping, no friends, no soy ice cream… but I did find some fairly respectable dark chocolate (Lindt, switzerland) and have heard rumours of very good European chocolate stores in Kuala Lumpur, where I’ll be visiting very soon (Whoo Hoooo!!!!). Now, I think I’ll get back to reading Joyce’s Ulysses (otherwise known as reading the dictionary, as I hunt for all his obscure Irish references to history, philosophy, and religion)… I miss everyone who is currently reading this, and want to hear from you!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home